Saturday 10 January 2009

The Latest Elephant in the Room

As I said in my last post it feels as if there is another elephant in the room. At the moment we no longer worry about dementia or memory problems. Now our worries are centred around whether or not he is about to start another nose bleed. He is not an easy patient. By no means a patient patient. He is frustrated at being kept quiet. Only reading or watching TV. I remind him that if they had a spare bed available they would have kept him on the ENT ward for 7 days complete bed rest. At least here at home he can sit in the lounge to watch TV or amble to the toilet.

This last mad dash over to A&E was a bit stressful. I wasn't my usual level headed and organised wife/carer. I forgot minor little things when I visited. I forgot to take slippers. I failed to leave him with money. I forgot to leave him a pen and notepad. I did remember a comb and to re- charge his shaver. I did put credit on his patientline and show him how to use the system before I left for home. So I wasn't a complete careless carer.

He wants now to be prepared for another urgent dash to the hospital. So we are talking about this "elephant in the room". He has made a list of what he would want if he's kept in overnight. And items he would like if he is in more than one night. We are going to pack a bag and leave it in readiness in the wardrobe. If I'm not at home when he is spirited away by the paramedics then like a boy scout he will be prepared. I can just pick up the bag and follow along once we know if he is to be kept as an inpatient again.

5 comments:

Robert said...

It must be a relief that MyMan is treating the situation appropriately. This is much better than trying to ignore it.

ADDY said...

An excellent idea. They always advise pregnant women to have a case ready for the hospital dash, so why not for a regular health emergency. Hope you don't need to avail yourselves of it, though!

ChickPea said...

I do so agree with Robert and rosiero - this is a most positive approach to a most difficult situation. That the elephant is being talked about - in any context at all - allows possibilities of real conversation, including those that no-one wants but we all need.
Thinking of you both. x

Penny Pincher said...

Thanks to you all for oyour comments. He's now been home a week and ... touch wood ...so far so good ....
The bag is packed ready to go and I hope that like expensive insurance it will not be needed.

Krista said...

Found your blog through someone else. Very nicely done. My dad has Alzheimer's. i will visit back from time to time. Thanks.

Krista

www.alzheimersteam.com